History of the Golden Tower
la Torre del Oro en Sevilla
>>>History of the Golden Tower
History of the Golden Tower
The Almohads are the tower Builders, but to say that the tower was built in 1220 is a summary too short and we must understand the context of the city.
The Almoravids and the golden tower
In the thirteenth century, the time of the Muslim star was fading in their spanish land, the magnificent Umayyad caliphate, had disappeared. After a period of dispersion in small kingdoms (taifas) a very strong religious movement emerged from Africa, the Almoravids, the warrior monks came out of the hard sands of the Sahara.
In 1090, the Almoravid armies are invited to help against the Christians but as often happens in history, allies become enemies and in the spring of 1091 the Almoravid armies attack the Taifa of Seville and conquer the city by establishing a regime of extremism .
However, after the conquest of al-Andalus, the Almoravids are going to relax and allow the same "sins" that were coming by allowing their predecessors of the Umayyad caliphate in only 30 years .
The Almohads and the golden tower
In 1125, an Arab north Berber Ibn Tumart, who was well trained and observing the decay in the eyes of the Islamic faith, of the Almoravid empire, began a successful revolution called Almohad (meaning unity of God). many arabs assist this revolt and ends with the power of the Almoravids.
In 1145 enter Iberian Peninsula and try to unify the Taifas (small arabs kingdoms).
In 1195, completely defeated the Spanish troops in the battle of Alarcos. This momentum was stopped in 1212 due to the great battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, near the carolina.
On the other hand in 1215, Benimarines another great Berber movement begins to take shape in the south near of the actual Marrakesh, who aspire to attack the peninsula
We are now in 1220 when the Almohads leader in Seville, Abu al-Ula, waiting for the big blow of the Spanish army in the north and the possible invasion of their brethren in the south and begin to fortify their towns, and the Taifa of Seville was a of the most important.
In this welter of violence, he built a tower next to the river with the intention of extending the wall to the edge and then build a chain to stop the possible ships attacking from the sea using the Guadalquivir.
To give the impression of power,they disguised the tower with lime and straw to look like golden tiles, and call it the golden tower of the river, this tower is that we see today on the edge of Seville near maestranza. The bull fighting temple.
The Spaniards in Seville
The Almohads were sentenced. In 1248, the city falls to Spanish fleet which was mainly Cantabrian and the siege of Fernando III of Castile due to a cross with some involvement of international orders.
At first it escapes from its destruction by the beauty it had and left without clear use, and its own by the Castile Castilian crown.
There is a legend which says that King Pedro I the Cruel in the s. XIV used the tower to court the ladies. There is a story about a lady, Dona Maria Coronel in order not to succumb to carnal desire she mutilated herself her face and hand swith fire so as to be undesirable to the king, whereupon the king who was a practical man to take the person who more appeared to her, his sister, Dona Aldonza, an it's said that she lived in the tower. What is historically documented is thay that time a new plant was added … (the small apartment of the king, who knows?)
Later, it becomes a chapel dedicated to St. Isidore of Seville, the wise Visigoth. This was due in part to the legend of Bishop Leon which in 1063, trying to salvage the remains of St. Just, St. Isidore had appeared to the saint and had pointed out the location of his remains.
When the chapel of St. Isidore takes a new location, the tower was used as a prison, this is the beginning of its decline that will last almost 300 years..
On several occasions it was about to be lost. In the sixteenth century had a dilapidated but funds were found and partially restored. was used as so dangerous to a building as a gunpowder depot.
In 1755, the great earthquake that stars in the destruction of Lisbon and also is affected Seville is about to sweep away this great tower . Some leaders, propose its destruction but the popular action and a petition to the King, saved by the actual intervention restored the tower in 1760, and is added to the third floor.which is used as harbourmaster's office.
With the turmoil of the Revolution of 1868, the tower back to take a big risk because the revolutionaries take this bastion of power and remove its decorations for sale. Again the popular action of Sevillians stops its destruction .
With the economic boom of the first decade of the twentieth century is restored through the intervention of the army by the engineer Carlos Falcon.
Finally, from 1936 he decided to use as a maritime museum, which is not achieved due to the vicissitudes of civil war until 1944 which is the current use.
Algunas webs amigas
Panoramica de la Giralda . Guia de Amberes . la waterland en Holanda . Chistes Graciosos .